First of all, the SHOULDER is not a series of bones. Elk do not have a clavicle. A series of bones is called a front leg. Second, and I am sorry saddlesore, one half of the mass of a elk to pack out.....butcher .....or eat is not in the front quarter. Third, on a 90 degree angle straight broadside shot, explain to me how shooting through the scapula in the lower half of the animal would not involve a DOUBLE LUNG. Fourth, how could a DRT episode in a harvest NOT involve Central Nervous System breakdown. Fifth, If one envisions a pie plate I.e. 9 inches as the point of impact of the projectile ......if one puts the center distal to the shoulder.....a portion of the plate if not a SUBSTANTIAL part would be covering the liver, small intestine, or the rumen. In essence the Scapula covers most of the lung field in the Cervidae. How would you feel if invited to a game feed.....I am sorry I shot it in the shoulder so there ain't as much as I hoped.....Or I got this one in the guts! Let's eat! I ask everyone to study the Anatomy of what they choose to harvest and make their own decisions. It is personally my conclusion that a DRT incident does not occur without CNS involvement and a DOUBLE LUNG distal to the shoulder will increase a risk of a puncture and carcass contamination of the abdomen. Further more a front quarter is no where near HALF AN ELK.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills