This is why I try to avoid shoulders, if I have a choice. This elk made it about 5 feet, which is about as far as a fair number of double lunged critters go. Both front shoulders had all kinds of NASTY, GRITTY bone marrow all over them. I cut way more of it away than I prefer to.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The heart is my favorite part of the critter too. Bums me out when I blow it up like this.

Some double lungers will go 30 or so yards before crashing, and an occasional one will make it 100 yards, but to me it's no big deal to find them in normal Rocky Mountain elk country. In Roosevelt country maybe things are different.

This double lunged stag went straight the [bleep] down. I do like a frangible bullet for this work though, as the TSX type just haven't killed critters nearly as quickly IME, whether through the shoulders or behind them.
[Linked Image]

When I mean double lunged, I mean TIGHT behind the shoulder which can get the heart and part of the offside shoulder too depending on angle...Shots several inches behind the shoulder usually do end up in a 100+ yards run..