Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

Like this one or close enough?

Follow the leg up to just above center and pull the trigger...

Kent

What is the OP's definition of shoulder? It has become obvious to me that the definition is not the same to everyone on this thread. My definition is the bones the muscle tissue/meat and the the skin that covers this hole portion of the elk.

After skinning an elk if you lift the front leg and using a knife the "shoulder can be removed from the rib cage without the need to cut any bones. This is a large piece of a front quarter. And the meat of it's aft portion covers a significant portion of the lungs. Quite significant at some angels.

The pictures show an elk standing still, on flat ground, with no obstruction such as brush and trees. If I waited for that kind of conditions before shooting of the 30 or so elk that I have taken I would have maybe 1. I can only remember one within those conditions.

But I have for the most part hunted elk in the National forests of the Bitteroot mountains of Idaho.

I try not to damage to much meat. I try not to beak the bone in the shoulder. But "the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

But then I am sure that I am not the best shooter on the internet.

8mmwapiti