Another point I present to consider is the ciculatory system and the digestive anatomy of the ruminant. The circulatory system has a pump operated component i.e. blood. It also has a passive one lymphatics. The lymph system will take up extracellular fluids and return them back to the pump. (Blood stream). When tissues are traumatized leakage will occur that will be picked up in the lymph returned to the blood and then pumped through the body. If a bowel is ruptured a bacteria or infiltration of bowel contents will occur. Elk are ruminant so they have a lot of bacteria present very high up in the digestive system. I haven even seen regurgitation of ruminant fluid inside the chest cavity via a severed esophogus. Anyways the longer an animal lives after an bowel integrity loss the greater the chance of bacteria pentrating all of the animals tissues. This can effect the whole animals wholesomeness. As in shelf life, safety and flavor. It is my belief the loss of shoulder meat is less than the negative effect upon the whole carcass if death is delayed.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills