Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by T_Inman
200 accubond out of a .340 WBY. Range was 300+/- yards.

I like elk to drop ASAP, but will gladly take an occasional 100 yard runner to avoid this kind of mess.

Mmm.....I think that result was from a lot of velocity,and a bullet not up to 340 Weatherby velocity. Sort of understandable....have not used that combo but have seen the 338 and 340 work plenty with 210-225 NPT,and heavier bonded but without that carnage, and dead stuff.About those distances ,too.

There is this middle ground between the explosive nature of some bullets in fast magnums, and the hard, deep penetration of an X that may suit,and still work to your liking on the lung shots.

Very possible, and I know you have a lot of experience here...I may have to try the 210-225 partition at some point. That 200 accubond stayed together and was against the skin on the far side, like usual. I haven't weighed it, but it mushroomed like it should have. There wasn't too much bloodshotness with that elk, though there was some. It was bone fragments and marrow that really screwed up that particular shoulder.

I wasn't too impressed with a TSX out of my 6.5x55 swede this last year on a whitetail buck. I accidentally hit the shoulder and DESTROYED it too. The only difference was, it took another 10 or so seconds for him to die, even after I hit him a second time. Small sample, but it left a bad impression.