Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Grand
The value of the rifle does not merit hiring a lawyer. If it does not belong to your wife under the divorce decree, I'd take it to the local Police Station or Sheriff's office. They can determine whether he lawfully qualifies to possess the firearm. Plus they will have a pile of paper work for him to file out.

I went to the Sheriff's office after I posted the original question, because my wife was in full on panic mode and needed answers right away. I told them the situation and they said it was abandoned property. They also said as long as we were both legal to own it then it was legally ours since it had been in our possession for so long. He also said it was a civil issue since the AR-15 was not stolen if it comes down to anything further, and that law enforcement probably wouldn't get involved.

This all started when we sent him a quote for getting my step daughter braces, and we offered him the opportunity to pay for half the cost that insurance wouldn't cover. We didn't care if he paid or not, we just wanted him to say yes or no. He found out that I also carry insurance on my step daughter for medical, dental, and vision and accused us of trying to commit insurance fraud for submitting to both his and my insurance companies. His insurance is through Tri-Care (military) and mine is through my work with the rail road. The reason I added my step daughter is that I pay the same amount for insurance regardless of number of dependents, so it seemed like a good idea to carry secondary insurance on her.

My wife thinks he feels like I'm pi$$ing on his tree, by carrying insurance on my step daughter.

Ah. Time to tell him to f'k off. Sounds like he only gave a schit about the kid when it was clear that YOU give a schit about the kid.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.