Originally Posted by David_Walter
My divorce specifically said "any items in the possession of either party 30 days after the date of recording, are the permanent possession of that party holding the item."

Of course, you can always answer his inquiry with "No, I don't still have it."

My daughter is currently going through a divorce. There is verbiage in her divorce decree that is very similar to this.

This also includes me as I was storing items at her home in a large out building they had. My problem is that the ex son-in-law has not made reasonable access to the building for me to retrieve my belongings.

You may want to see if your wife has a copy of the divorce decree and read through it first. You might be able to avoid a lot of headache by doing so. If it does indeed have this clause you're in business. Any communications with her ex-husband need to be via email. Tell him that the divorce decree states that the items were abandoned. Let him know that you're more than willing to return the firearm to him. Let him know that it needs to be transferred through a FFL and that he needs to pay for the transfer.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.