Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by cooper57m
You might want to check with someone familiar with NY law or contact the NY State Police. It may very well be illegal for you to send it to NY for transfer or sale. NY has banned the sale and I believe transfer of "assault weapons" as defined by the NY SAFE Act. In order to keep these rifles, they had to have been registered. They either had to be registered or sold/transferred to an out of state person or NY FFL holder. I'm pretty sure it would illegal in NY for you to send it to him. That plus it being declared abandoned property, I'm pretty sure that it is yours. If he plays hardball with you, ask him to send you a letter from the NY State Police stating that it is legal to send this rifle into NY for transfer. That'll never happen and will shut him up.

The NY SAFE ACT:

"Broadens definition of "assault weapon" from two identified features to one. The sale and/or transfer of newly defined assault weapons is banned within the state, although sales out of state are permitted. Possession of the newly defined assault weapons is allowed only if they were possessed at the time that the law was passed, and must be registered with the state within one year."

This would seem to prohibit you from transferring the rifle back to him.

You really need to stfu and go away

Intelligent people will understand that I was just making him aware of the NY law so that he wouldn't get into legal trouble by trying to transfer that rifle to someone in NY. I was not defending the law. I've supported having that law repealed and support the civil disobedience that owners of these rifles NOT register them.

I'm not going anywhere.

All I see you do on this forum is cry out for everyone to make sure they follow the safe act, and let's just compromise and give up standard capacity magazines.

As I said, he should sanitize the gun and drive it to west point, drop it off at the door of the CO'S residence with a note saying who it belongs to and that it is not registered per safe act regulations.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell