Originally Posted by roundoak
Deer drive in central Wisconsin. I dropped off several standers along a gravel road and parked my 1947 Ford stake bed truck next to a high sand bank and walked in off the road with the other standers.

Later, a buck came hell bent in my direction and I put a 87 grain .257 bullet from my 250 Savage 99 into his lungs. As he came by blood was spouting out of both sides, then there was a crash heard, but did not sound like brush.

When the drivers emerged I took up the blood trail and as I walked up to the edge of the high sand bank I found the dead deer laying on the bed of the truck.

I had a cousin that shot a doe one afternoon in the woods adjacent to a large cotton field. At the shot, the doe ran out into the field and disappeared. He expected her to go a short distance and fall. When he walked into the field, she was nowhere to be found. He backed up and started the blood trail, followed for 100-150 yards and realized it was headed straight for his Honda 110 3 wheeler (this was 20+ yrs ago). As he approached the 3 wheeler, he saw the deer piled up just on the other side of the bike. Apparently her last leap was over the bike leaving a bloody streak on the seat and handlebars.