My buddy and I were really lucky to each draw Tule elk cow tags (as well as pronghorn tags) in 2005. Unheard of in CA. A Tule elk hunt is pretty much a slam-dunk proposition because very few tags are permitted each year and the elk are not spooky at all. On the elk hunt, we had decided, my buddy had 1st shot. We located a herd of about 30 animals, 18 of which were bulls, many were 6x6 or better and the herd bull was a massive 8x7. They were all spread about, bedded and undisturbed, but no shot was possible because of their proximity to each other. After waiting for the better part of 2 hours, one large cow got up and moved away from the rest and finally presented a shot. His rifle was a .375 H&H with 270g, factory Corelokts, distance about 100 yds. Watching through my binocular, I saw the perfect broadside heart-lung hit and saw blood spraying out the far side. The cow just stood there. The other elk now certainly disturbed began to rise and mill about preventing a follow up shot. Soon a few of the satellite bulls ran over to the now slumping cow and began mounting her, one after another, a jaw-dropping spectacle. At last we moved toward the herd and chased them away so a finishing shot was possible. I got my yearling cow (great choice for the tender meat harvested) while we approached the now finished bigger cow. I had brought along a video camera and recorded the whole affair. Incidentally, we also each got a pronghorn buck that year, though with no unusual happenings.

Last edited by win2; 02/18/17.