I'm limited to about 8 rounds off the bench with my #1 .45-70 with 405's @ 1750fps, but it's not terrible off hand (that said, I'll probably never load all the way to the 2100fps that it's capable of).

I was at the range one day, just me and a guy down at the other end. He was shooting a Titanium Smith .38. I was monkeying with my chrony and some rifle loads. He walked down and asked if I could shoot his pistol over my chrony. Sure. IIRC, it was Speer factory 135 +P. When it went off, I darn near dropped his gun. 835fps, for those wondering.

A buddy has always had an affinity for his 11-48 Remington 16ga. We were shooting skeet out in a field one day with it and for some reason, every round felt like my face was soaking up every bit of the recoil. After a box of dove loads, I was done. Lots of folks around here still love 11-48's, someday I'll have to ask why.

Bro-in-Law's 870 Supermag with 3-1/2" Hevi Shot Loads give a pretty good shove. First time I ever shot it, I shot it kneeling, it spun me half around. Despite the shove, it doesn't really hurt (though I'm sure it would after a box of shells). The stock fits me pretty well and it has a nice, big, soft, recoil pad. It will also hammer turkeys at stupid ranges.

I figured out a long time ago it's (within reason) all about weight, stock design, and recoil pad. I've shot a buddy's .300 Weatherby with 180's and I was pleasantly surprised. I've shot another buddy's M77 .300 Win Mag that was considerably less comfortable to shoot.