Like rifles, fit matters. Handle different ones if you're able, and see what's comfortable to work with.

I keep finding that Victorinox offers a quantum leap up from the garbage knives, at a very reasonable price. They may not hold an edge forever, but they also take a fresh edge easily. Balance is great (for me) throughout their offerings. I love their li'l $5 paring knives - they're just handy as [intercourse].

Wustoff & Henckels are usually good bets, so long as you don't go with any "value" lines they've introduced. It kills me to see world-class mfgrs of ANY kind of product who stoop to putting their name on a [fecal material] product. If you see a Wustoff chef's knife for $40, run like hell - it aint the real thing.

I keep saying I'll try a Dexter Russell knife, but haven't gotten it done yet. There are too many favorable opinions about them (from people I actually trust) for them to totally suck. I just don't know how they'll work for me.

You can spend to the limits of your imagination, but only you can say if it's worth it.

Never put 'em in the dishwasher. Go ahead & get a knife block, but don't feel obliged to buy a knife for every slot in it. A 8" (or 10") chef's knife and a parer will go a lot farther than you think. I also prefer horizontal slots on a knife block, over vertical ones - it makes me think I'm not sawing wood with the edges I've worked so hard to maintain.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC