I like them in the 2lb range as well.

IMHO, Scott is right - the lighter the rifle, the lighter the trigger needs to be.

From field positions and offhand, the lighter trigger helps most. A controlled squeeze is rare for me in a hunting situation - I need to be time it so that I am able to touch off the trigger just when I want to in most hunting situations, and that's where a light trigger makes me a better shot in a hunting situation. It's also the reason a lighter rifle needs a lighter trigger - I need to affect things as little as possible when I touch off the shot offhand or in a field position when I need to control timing the shot to occur precisely at the right moment.

I also will take reasonable shots on moving game - frequently on hogs, and even on this buck I shot last year. He had a doe in a thicket and came out in the open for a second to run off a smaller buck and I drilled his shoulders as he slowed from a trot to a brisk walk just as he was leaving the clearing to return to his doe. Killed him with a Montana 7-08 with the trigger just a whisker under 2 lbs - which was perfect. A light trigger sure helps when swinging with a moving animal and touching off a shot at just the right time.

[Linked Image]

It obviously wasn't cold that day, but cold hasn't been a problem with light triggers IME. Of course, I don't hunt in crazy cold weather too much....grin.

Lee - I test the dickens out of my rifles for accidental discharge dangers - lots of slam fires and bump tests all over the rifle after I adjust a trigger. BTW - some rifles will AD with odd bumps - I've found it's a good idea to test with a bump on the forend. Also, sometimes it's the 8th of 10th slam fire before a trigger discharges. I've also seen them AD more easily after the safety is engaged and dis-engaged - had a model 70 that could have fooled me on that one if I hadn't been pretty persistent in testing it.

DJ