You can't really beat any floorless shelter for space to weight ratio for obvious reasons. I've shared a Paratipi with another guy while using the stove. It certainly wasn't a space I wanted to hang out in for long periods of time but we were hunting and it was plenty big enough to sleep two in and stash our gear at the low end. For lightweight hunting, that's all I'm looking for.

I use a Supertarp, sometimes with annex, as my solo/+ one kid shelter but don't have a stove for it yet. At less than 20 ounces for the ST alone and about 6 for the annex, I love the shelter I get for the weight. Haven't used it with a stove yet so it is just conjecture on my part to say that I think I prefer the front placement of the stove to the central positioning of the Paratipi.

My "big" shelter is a Golite Shangri-La 6 and I love it. I haven't tried any of their smaller offerings but if I hadn't come across a $125 like new Supertarp, I'd probably be using a Shangri-La 2 for solo stuff. Whatever you get, having the option of a wood stove makes a huge difference in comfort and utility (to me). While using just a tarp can certainly work, I much prefer the greater versatility of something like the Supertarp. Not much weight penalty for the better weather resistance.

The biggest drawback I find with those above is the footprint. The very size that makes them spacious can sometimes be a hassle depending on the terrain you have to set up in. For a two man tent (and it is), the Supertarp covers a lot of ground. The good news is you can set up a floorless shelter over stuff that would never allow a tent with a floor. Small shrubs as decoration and large rocks as furniture can all add to the charm of floorless camping.

Last edited by CCH; 10/08/09.