Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Thats why I run a 6 oz TI Goat bivy inside my GoLite Shangri-La combined its still less than 2 lbs all up for 49 sq ft of protection from the wind and rain. Granted the Kifaru is nice, but the paratipi (closest thing I can see to the Shangri-la 2) is almost exactly 5X the cost and a full pound and a half more. Or the supertarp at 1 lb, but no door and the back half of the supertarp isn't usable to sit up in and its over twice the price of the Shangri-La 2. To me the Shangri-La 2 meets a good pinch point in function/weight & price.

Just add to that a little to that... a Kifaru Super Tarp with annex ( aka,, door) is 1# 6 oz, (shangrila is 1#13ozs). The Kifaru has over 72 sq ft. - being over 12 feet long (32" longer than the Golite) I use the rear like a vestibule for gear. By not staking the center on low end... I can lift it and slide my pack and bow in the low end and still access it from inside if I need. Plenty of room to hang out in the high end without having all my gear in the way. 4' 4" tall (7"'s taller than Shangrila 2 & 15" wider) - it makes it easier to stay away from the walls. Not only does it have more room its shape is clearly better in a big blow. Add my ti cylinder stove and I am at 3#'s total and have 27 sq ft more dry area. The cost is way more but it is made in the USA and once you get it will serve it purpose well... mine has.
[Linked Image]