Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I was aware that the SuperTarp with the annex gives better stove placement at the front-which I've heard is the major drawback from the ParaTipi.

But doesn't the annex attach with either safety pins or velcro?? If so, that does not seem like a dependable system for a potential life saving shelter.

I sat through a fairly windy storm in one a few weeks ago with no problems other than wondering if the pipe directly behind my head was going to act as a lightning rod. smile The cut your own poles and stakes for the super works well and saves a fair amount of weight. In the case of the cutting my own stakes, that is a much better idea for my area than commercial pegs since it always seemed they were never long enough to get through to something solid enough to hold anyway.

I prefer floorless shelters after trying them. In the past I would always wake up in a puddle of condensed breath/sweat trapped by a sealed floor, but now at least *some* of it ends up at the tarp edges. You will get a certain amount of wet from the condensation on the walls if you bump something against the walls (or during wind/rain events,) but I got that with tents anyway. If you bring a dog along the floorless is great since there is no floor for toenails to destroy and you can get in as wet and muddy as you want and you don't end up laying in it at some point. Insects seem to be taken care of by lightweight bug nets and mosquito coils. If you have a ladies/kids that will not go floorless (but you will) the ShangriLa + nest set up looks like it would be a great idea.