Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Just a random thought here. Wonder how a 7mm Remington case with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder and long throated for the 160-175 bullet would compare to the Mashburn ballistically?

Such a setup would make for easier case forming.

That would sound a lot like a 7mm Sharpe & Hart; performance is good, but a tad below the Mashburn, IIRC.

MM

Hillbilly: I have not formed an Ackley shoulder,but have "long throated" a few 7RM's and generally they work a lot better than a standard Rem 700-type factory throat.There is not a huge velocity gain,but I found the cartridge a lot more tractible as you got to max than with some shorter factory throats;I think barrels and throats are behind a lot of the difficulties a lot of guys see with the 7RM;why many will hit a wall and the velocities are not quite up to what one "expects" of the cartridge.

Of course if you throat for the 160-175, you compromise bullet/land relationship with 140 gr bullets,because thet have to jump to the lands.Sometimes this works OK and sometimes not.

It is really as much the longer neck,longer bullet seating,and a skosh more capacity that makes it easier to hit these velocities in the Mashburn,as opposed to the Remington...the Mashburn just lets you get there easier near as I can see so far.There is not a real universe of difference;but if you have struggled with the 7RM to get the vels you see from some sources,the Mashburn will be appreciated.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.