Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Just a random thought here. Wonder how a 7mm Remington case with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder and long throated for the 160-175 bullet would compare to the Mashburn ballistically?

Such a setup would make for easier case forming.

That would sound a lot like a 7mm Sharpe & Hart; performance is good, but a tad below the Mashburn, IIRC.

MM

Hillbilly: I have not formed an Ackley shoulder,but have "long throated" a few 7RM's and generally they work a lot better than a standard Rem 700-type factory throat.There is not a huge velocity gain,but I found the cartridge a lot more tractible as you got to max than with some shorter factory throats;I think barrels and throats are behind a lot of the difficulties a lot of guys see with the 7RM;why many will hit a wall and the velocities are not quite up to what one "expects" of the cartridge.

Of course if you throat for the 160-175, you compromise bullet/land relationship with 140 gr bullets,because thet have to jump to the lands.Sometimes this works OK and sometimes not.

It is really as much the longer neck,longer bullet seating,and a skosh more capacity that makes it easier to hit these velocities in the Mashburn,as opposed to the Remington...the Mashburn just lets you get there easier near as I can see so far.There is not a real universe of difference;but if you have struggled with the 7RM to get the vels you see from some sources,the Mashburn will be appreciated.

Thanks for the information. I have never chronographed any 7MM Remington factory ammo that was even close to the factory listed velocity and only one 7mm I have worked with came near the loading manual listed velocities before hitting pressure issues.

This 7MM Mashburn of yours has set me to thinking. That usually winds up costing me money smile

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.