Originally Posted by Brad
7mm Mashburn's are for complete nut-jobs. I should know, I'm friend's with one... (grin).

BTW, beautiful rifle Bob!

Thanks, Brad.Handsome is as handsome does and near as I can tell so far it performs nicely.Being a rifle "student"(always learning),and a bit of a history buff,it's an interesting cartridge to me and fascinating when you think about how it got started....and how well it turned out in a day when folks did not have access to the info and technology that we now have;even Warren Page had to send cartridges and rifle to Remington to get the velocity info that any of us can get in an afternoon now,on our own.

Tastes in cartridges shift like the wind and guys are constantly running around to newer,different cartridges.I think a lot of this activity is circular, like fish swimming in a barrel,and lots of new cartridges are not all that "new";the design or performance parameters having been set decades ago.The Mashburn is a good example of that....witness the "new" 284 Jarrett,or the STW.

Goes to show you can't really know where you are unless you know where you've been.....

I thought it was poetic justice that my first shot over the chronograph with a 175 Partition measured 3050.....precisely what Page said his old rifle did at the Remington plant back in 1959.... smile

And yet there is newer good stuff today.....personally I think the 6XC should replace the 243 in short action sporting rifles....just a better, forward looking design.And old Bill Steigers told me the other day if he were looking to build a hotter 375 than the H&H round,he would not bother with his old favorite 375AI,but would move right on up to the 375 RUM with its' good, modern brass and plenty of capacity..

.....this from a guy whose clients were blowing out 404 Jeffrey brass and necking it down to 30 caliber a couple of decades before the 300RUM saw the light of day...interesting to think about and there ain't much new under the sun!

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/03/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.