I love to see all the guys who talk a good fight about how to handle situations have to face what they are asking for.

For so many the "solution" to the border problem????.....Shoot, shovel,shut up! What they'd do if someone threatened them of their family?????.....Meet Mr. Smith & Wesson!

Yes, Johnny Badass rides well on the internet. "Killing is my business, and business is GOOD!" Everyone wants to act tough and talk about how things "should" be done......until they actually meet an individual who embodies those ideas. Then they piss down their leg and tremble.....because those rare individuals ARE scary.

The impression I get is that Askins Jr. was one of those rare birds who made no excuses and gave no quarter. He did whatever it took to stay alive and accomplish the goals he had set for himself. He was honest and never tried to make excuses for what he did and how he did it.....and that honesty likely carried over to all parts of his life. I'm sure he could be your best friend or your worst nightmare......your choice.

Did he "play fair"??? Of course not and anyone who does "play fair" during a shooting situation deserves to die. Did he "bushwhack" and "backshoot"??? Sometimes, but I don't see that as a fault. He was in a life-or-death situation.

If you have decided to kill a man, you should do so in the most effecient way possible with the least chance of getting yourself hurt. Dead is dead.....they die just as well when shot in the back and don't present near as much danger to the shooter. Tha classic stand-up, face-to-face gun battles seen on the movies work for Matt Dillon because he has read the script and already knows he won't be hurt.....in real life things aren't so certain.

So what if he seemed to enjoy what he did. He never pretended to seek the approval of others and didn't believe what he did was in any way wrong. If a man believes in what he is doing, and is VERY good at it......why shouldn't he be proud and enjoy his work.

I believe if I had known Askins, I would have liked the man and gotten along well because I treasure honesty and lack of pretense in a man. I believe he would have been a great friend.....and a terrible enemy if wronged. I have to say I like that attitude.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know