"Acts, outside the pale of what was considered acceptable, led to extermination camps of those the Third Reich considered enemies. No one thinks these acts were justified."

But Gene, there ARE those who think they were justified. Both at the time, and even today. Luckily, they are in the minority, but how much of a minority is needed to kill 6,000,000 people, or foster a war that kills 55 millions.

As for there being a "kill" order out. That's specious. No one can be "ordered" to murder if they don't "want" to. Even those ordered to attack, don't have to fire to hit, or to use their bayonet. Every act is a personal decision.

We condemn from a distance.

You were in war. You undoubtedly either knowingly killed, or knowingly participated in killing. It was "war." At the same time, we justify war in our own minds as being righteous based on our beliefs. Whether or not we are correct is not up to our own interpretation. It's up to the one who has the authority to judge us eternally, if we so believe.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain