There are "cultures" and "sub-cultures." Gang members who kill indiscriminately are acting within the context to their "culture" without benefit of out acceptance. That they are acting outside the law doesn't matter to them as long as they are working within their own personal code.

Hunting down and killing the man who rapes one's daughter is legally wrong; but not necessarily morally wrong to everyone.

Like I said. Those who "knew" Askins, didn't "know" everything, or for that matter understand everything.

I'm not defending Askins, beyond accepting that we all have the capacity to follow our own code of morality as it suits us. The line between us and him, is as simple as motivation. It doesn't take much to change a man.

Have you seen the video of Iwo Jima where the Japs are being rooted out of their burning bunkers and shot down as they emerge, many unarmed? Can you tell me the difference? Once a man identifies an enemy - for whatever that term evokes - then terminating that enemy is a simple thing.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain