Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I had to caution the shotgunworld crew about the occasional crude behavior encountered on this Forum. For some reason, we just don't see that over there. Maybe those shotgunners have more class than us riflemen...

DF-
I spent an interesting evening a year or so ago working through that SGW thread. It's a well-written mystery tale.

There may be a couple of reasons for the differing behaviors in the two forums. It's billed as "the Friendliest Shooting Forum on the Net!" Perhaps there is some attempt to live up to that motto.

The moderators there can be pretty heavy handed in enforcing civility and friendliness. A couple of my innocuous and I thought helpful posts have gotten blown away after some later posts later became impolite, and the entire thread disappeared.

--Bob

It's quite a tale, no doubt. It started off with me trading for this old shotgun, just because I like the lines and the way it looked. Traded a Jap Browning Sporting Clays gun, even swap. Only later found out that this old gun factory lettered to Capt Charles Askins, Ames, OK. The Browning Historian, Mr. Glen Jensen, called me at my office, all excited. I had left the serial number and model info on his answering machine. "Do you know who owned that gun?" he asked. Well, I guessed I was about to find out... On hearing "Capt. Charles Askins", I initially thought it was the Colonel, never dreaming it was his Dad, the Major. Well, the rest thay say is history. Since Nov. '77 there have been 500 posts and nearly 30,000 hits on that site. More hits than any post in the hitory of Shotgunworld since it's founding in '94 or there abouts.

Thanks, BTW, on the writing compliment. I'm not a writer, but have enjoyed the thread and where it's led. Met some super folks with great backgrounds of knowledge, as is the case on this Forum. Had nice exchanges with Bill Askins, the Colonel's son who lives in San Antonio. Bill was very helpful and we ended up with info not otherwise published or previously available about the Askins clan.

Glad you enjoyed it.

BTW, maybe a heavy handed Forum moderator is not all bad...

DF