I hunt the NY woods, not much different than PA, at least where I have been in PA.

If your a stand hunter and your going to be shooting at deer 10-80 yds that are not moving much, or walking a 6X is just fine. I have a 4x33 FXII and a 6X36 FXII and from a stand its really no difference.

If you game is still hunting or deer drives your much better off with something at 4X or less.

In my opinion the advantage of the fixed scopes are , fixed eye relief (and with the two I have, very generous eye relief) This is not true with some variables particularly the Leupold variables that while generous at low power are really far less friendly at higher power.

Light weight, They are lighter and less bulky than variables.

Based up on my history, they are tougher than variables. I have put a couple of variables out of comission but yet to do it to a quality fixed power.

That said I really think that for the GP wood hunter the scope to look at is a good 1.5-6X40. 1.5x is as fast as can be, I can shoot comfortably with both eyes open, which is the key to getting on a deer fast like when you kick one up out of a bed 20 yds in front of you. If you doubt this take your rifle to a trap range and try dry firing on some birds..two eyes open is the key. 6X with a 40mm objective is a pretty fair combo for the early and late when low light performance is required. all in a package thats reasonably sized.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge