Originally Posted by CoalCracker
I'm looking to put a scope on a new-to-me "deer rifle". It looks like the Leupold FX-3 6x42 gets a lot of accolades by many here on the 'Fire. I hunt fairly dense woods here in PA. The longest shot I've ever taken at a deer in my 30 years of hunting has probably been +/-80 yards, with most being closer than that.

I use a variable scope and typically set it at 3x while stalking and 4x while on stand. However, I do crank it up on occasion when shooting at a stationary/slow moving deer at the end of my visible range. I find that the higher power helps me to pick an opening through branches and brush that may deflect my bullet.

I've never had a scope let me down mechanically. So other than the fact that the fixed powers may be more durable, what other advantages do they have over a variable power scope for my style of hunting?

Also, for a guy on a limited budget, would a FX-II 6x36 be serviceable, or is the FX-3 6x42 the only way to flY?

Thanks.

Shot them running at under 15 yards, and zapped 'm at well over 300 (groundhogs well beyond that).

No fears on using the 6x in the woods,