Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

Believe me, I know where you're coming from--partly because I've had more than one variable break on a hunt, and seen several others do it.

All of which is why I make at least one iron-sighted hunt each year--and afterwards often wonder why I don't do it more often. It's such a please to not even think of what might be going on in my scope's innards, secretly. Irons are so much more honest if something goes wrong!

JB: An ironsighted rifle is almost a necessity to have in the northeast here for certain conditions,and I remember a good buck I'd have killed in a downpour if I'd had irons instead of a scope....there are times.....

One thing for sure...if a guy spends enuf time with irons, he won't dwell too much about whether a 4X is "enough scope" when he picks one up!

I like 6X a bit more now than I used to,especially in more open country,and a couple of rifles (my Roberts and Mashburn)now wear them and I have no plans to change.I think they are a good choice for a curmudgeon like me who was very firmly stuck on the toughness of a fixed power and wants a bit more optical power in open country.

Just a general observation that I mentioned to JWP and RinB yesterday.....I have now had the Summit on 5 rifles IIRC;and every one has been a tack driver....all factory sporters,and it now sits on my ugly 7RM.Yesterday,flopped prone at 300 it shot (another)small group at 300 yards(I should post it)......I am beginning to suspect it is more than just pure luck and am wondering if the optics/mechanics have something to do with it..I run it between 6X(mostly)and 10X (500-600 yards).I can find no paralax in the system at those powers,and it is as honest a variable as I have ever owned.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.