Coalcracker, I hunted for several years in Forest county in the Allegheny national forest. I used a Leupold 6x42 which had worked fine in Michigan. What I found out in MI and confirmed in PA was that 6X has a real advantage over 4X in defining detail at low light at dawn and dusk and in very thick woods.

Definition is important in PA because we have the point restrictions. You just have to know what you are shooting at in low light or in the shade.

As I don't take runnning shots, I can't comment on advantage of lower powers. For other than running shots the 6X42 doesn't really give anything up to a 2.5 to 3X at close ranges.

I had to sell my 6X42's (my new eyeglass prescription prevented me from bringing them into focus) and now have several Conquests, 4x, 2.5-8X32 and 3-9X40. What I am finding at the range is that the Conquest variables all do 6x as well as the 6X42 and the highest power works really well for sighting in and working up loads.

The 4X Conquest works well but I am not ready to say it has made up in definition for a higher power.

Both the 6x42 and a good variable will work well. The 6x42 will be lighter and simpler. The Leupold 6x42 is a very attractive and easy to use scope. The variables, particularly the Conquest will be larger and heavier. To older eyes, the larger ocular and etched reticle of the Conquest are beautiful.

Cheers,

GrimJim