Like most on here, I have wrestled with scopes....endlessly...and have concluded it is to be part of my optical destiny to reside in a constant state of confusion regarding scopes.....

I have broken variables, so I regard them with a cocked and skeptical eyebrow....I have used them to some advantage so like them at the same time.

I have turned a single 4X leupold to rattling rubble after app 3000 rounds on 300's and 338's,seen Burris go cockeyed,and seen the ocular lense fall out of a Nikon.

I have broken fine European optics,killed running bounding deer in the woods,(so close I could spit on them) with a 4X;ditto a 3x;and stretched a lousy 4X to the 450-500 mark more than once on game.

I have had old scopes like Lyman All-Americans and fixed leuppies last so long I wondered when they'd quit....and expensive Euro's quit after 80 rounds....so, yes ruggedness is important to me, because my rifles do not reside in the safe til hunting season, and get shot, year round.

I have been mesmerized by the gin-clear resolution and precision of stuff like Zeiss, Swaro and S&B...

So scopes make me nervous.....

I fully trust few of them,and I can never decide what is best;so I put them on,......fixed, variable, leupold, S&B....whatever....and go hunting.Aside from mechanical failure(once)I have managed to kill whatever came along....even though I might have been over, or under,scoped for a given situation..

The most importan thing a scope can do....is remain sighted in,and put bullets where you need them to go.EVERYTHING else is secondary....JMHO

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.