Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by GrimJim
I grabbed one also.

I was desolate when I could not use the Leupold 6X42's any more. I was just about content with the Zeiss Conquest scopes as replacements. This thread ended my contentment with the variables.
Now I will see if the Burris Fullfield II 6X40 will work for me, probably as a back-up. It has the rear fast focus I need. I am not sure about eye relief and eye box.

GrimJim

There is no way that one persons unfortunate experiences with variable power hunting scopes is going to change what I use. And if I did change for sure the variables replacements are not going to be fixed power 6X scopes.

This information goes against what I have heard in the past and what I know. Sure enough someone will try to tell me that my offhand technique and position is wrong now!

Mule Deer has a lot more experience with a lot more scopes than I do and I respect that. The experience that I do have drove my interest in the 6X42. I need to see detail in low light and I don't take running shots. The Leupold 6X42 was just about perfect for my needs. Now that I have a variable the higher power is nice at the range, a nice to have (I don't have to get up from the bench and go to the spotting scope on its tripod). The lower power is unused, an OK to have. So my decisions follow from my experience and that of those I respect. If there is a trade between the additional power range and reliability, it is one I would not care to make.

If you have different experience based on different shooting/hunting needs and you base your decisions entirely on your own experience, then you will make a different choice. I wish you happiness and satisfaction in your choice.

Cheers,

GrimJim