Originally Posted by cfran
Rugged is overhyped to the hilt around here. I'm a hunter first and a bench rest guy much less so. I might shoot 100 rounds through my deer gun every year, most of my shots in the real world will be less than 100 yards. At this rate how many years should I expect from the 3.5 x 10? Everything is a compromise, a fixed 6 is not the better mouse trap if you expect a lot of action close. Never understood why that is so difficult for some to grasp.

I find it difficult to grasp because I have found exactly the opposite to be true. I even run a couple fixed 6x Compacts on mountain rifle rigs and a few 6x36s. The 6x42 is better IME because it does everything faster. The Compacts take a little getting used to but when ounces count and shots run to the leisurely they work fine.

I have broken 6x42 Leupolds and my son broke the reticle in one just a few months back by putting the rear ring too far back and making it as tight as it should be... There are no scopes that cannot be broken and the 3.5-10 is one of the very few variables I consider useful.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.