Hi Jonathon, welcome to the fire! I am fairly new poster here also, but have been a browser on this site for years. You will find a lot of great information on here, and a lot of opinions. I will give you mine on the gun selection. I have a Kimber Montana in .308, and 2 Savage Weather Warriors, one in 25-06 and the other in .250 Savage. I usually grab the Savages when headed to the woods. Like you mentioned above, these rifles are tools, they are tough, they shoot damn good with minimal load developement, hold up well against the elements, and you aint afraid to scratch them! I would recommend a Savage .308 weather warrior, or 30-06, and spend the rest of your budget on a Leupold! Just my opinion.

If you live anywhere near Ghent Kentucky you can come on by and shoot a Kimber and a Savage before you make your decision! You aint gonna go wrong with either.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington