Sounds like you aren't all hung up on the difference between the .308 and the 30'06. That's good. I own both and have hunted both. Not enough difference unless you have a strong perference for a lighter kicking round or are in love with 200-220 gr. bullets for hunting.
Your scope choice is great too. 3-9X40's are probably the most often picked, and Leupolds are as good as any.
As to rifles, I'm afaird I can't help you much. I hunt stainless aand synthetic rifles alot more than I do, or have, hunted blued and wood rifles. As far as reliability goes, I've had no reliability problems due to the rifle being stocked in wood and the rifle having a blued action. As has been pointed out, seal the rifle properly with marine spar varnish along the barrel channel, in the webbing area and under the recoil pad, and you can go any where in heavy rain. I like to free float the barrel with a shim as well. That helps when using a shooting sling.
I am a strong believer in buying and using something that you really enjoy and that you have absolute confidence in. Confidence comes with experience.
I might add that getting to know a good gunsmith is another good idea. They can adjust or modify triggers for better shooting, and tweak rifles in other ways for better performance. E