Originally Posted by Jonathon
I would really like to thank everyone for the warm welcome to the forums and for taking the time to aid me in my decision.

I hadn't really put much thought into a Ruger as my I once owned an old 10/22 which was about as useful throwing at a squirrel as it was shooting at one, the accuracy wasn't nearly up to my expectations and didn't stay in my collection for very long. After reading coyote_hunter's post and many comparisons of the kimber 84, winchester 70, remington 700, and ruger 77 I think the Ruger is the perfect rifle for me.

Probably the most influential of the features the rifle offers were the integral scope mounts, three position safety, one piece bolt, and the mauser type controlled round feed extractor. If theses features come anywhere close to the theoretical ruggedness it presents I believe this rifle will serve well for any application I intend on using it for.

I am still in a pickle over which model I want between the M77 Hawkeye Standard or the Hawkeye All Weather; though I think I am leaning towards the Standard, as I find it much easier on the eyes but I guess I need to put more thought into it. Either way the rifle will be chambered in the good ol' 30-06. Thanks again to everyone!

I think you are making a very sound and wise decision....Nice to see someone rationalize and give good reasons that influenced their decision....From what I've seen with the new ruger hawkeyes, you'll be very impressed. Just keep in mind the action will be rough for a while and the trigger may need a lighter spring or it may even need to be polished out a bit. The rifle is as sound as a bank vault though as far as I'm concerned. If you get tired of looking, remember I've got one that has been smoothed up, trigger polished out, professionally bedded, and it shoots lights out....The only thing wrong with it is it's a 308 and you are leaning very hard toward the 30-06 and I don't blame you as that is also my favoite cartridge (truth be known).....Sounds like you are on the right track though so let us know what you end up with.......Maybe check out a new hawkeye with the satin (not the matte) bluing.....Those are much nicer than the matte blued ones they started out with.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA