Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Jonathon -

It wasn't clear in my previous post but both Ruger .30-06s wre purchased used and the .338 WM was built from used parts except for the stock. The point is there are a lot of very good used guns available, usually for much less than new, and often you can't tell the difference in how they look or shoot.

My wood/blue Ruger M77 in.257 Roberts is a case in point and has been my favorite rifle since I acquired it. Built in 1989, it became mine in January, 2004. At that time it didn't even have scratches in the bluing under the slide safety - something I "fixed" in the first couple trips to the range. Cost was $400 and included a Leupold M8 4x in the rings.
[Linked Image]

Another used bargain was a Remington BDL in .308 Win. It was 30 years old when I picked it up off the Gander Mountain used gun rack at a cost of $350. Except for the missing rear sight it looked like new. I replaced the sight only to find out it was removed to make room for the scope, so off it came again. The picture below is from the first load development I did with it. Every shot used a 0.5g increment in powder.
[Linked Image]

Here's another scope check target from the Remington M700 .308W:
[Linked Image]

Just saying, don't overlook the used rack - there are often bargains there waiting for a good home.

I agree with CH on this one and sometimes you get a used rife that may be better than new...Especially in a Ruger m77'S case.....If you get one from someone that knows what they are doing, the action will be slick, the trigger great, and if you are really lucky it will be bedded appropriately for excellent accuracy....but that takes a lot of fun out of owning a used rifle.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA