Originally Posted by Jonathon
Hello all, my name is Jonathon and I am new to this forum. I am researching into a new (bolt action) rifle to hunt with throughout various regions of the states. I plan on getting back into the army soon and am hoping to do some hunting whenever/wherever I get the chance. I am mostly concerned with deer hunting but need a rifle suited for other exploits whenever the opportunity presents itself. With that said my choice of caliber will be either. 308 or 30-06, and between the two I am indifferent. I hope to keep the budget under $1500 for this and I won't top a rifle with anything other than a leupold 3-9x40.

I have been stalking all weather rifles for the better part of a month now trying to find which would perfect for me, all the time wondering if I even NEED an all weather rifle. I have hunted in the rain with several sporterized 03 springfields and never had an issue with rusting and stainless/synthetic combos are very visually unappealing to me. If I were to go with an all weather rifle I believe that my 3 favorites are the Kimber Montana, Savage Weather Warrior, and the Sako 85 Grey Wolf. My only clear choice outside the realm of all weather would be the Kimber 84m/84l. (though I am open to suggestions)

My questions are, at what point does one justify the "need" for an all weather rifle, and of those listed (or not listed) which would you choose if you needed ONE good multipurpose rifle for use in general shooting and hunting ANYWHERE in the lower 48? Why?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Great thread and great question. Jonathan, welcome to the fire. My suggestion would be something you don't have on your list: A Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather chambered for the good ol 30-06 cartridge, or you could just buy my Stainless Ruger Hawkeye 308 with walnut stock and be done with your search grin......Anyway back to your question: Your choice in cartridge is stellar and either would work for any animal in NA, just choose the appropriate bullet and rock on (as they say here).....

Here's the Extreme weather as mentioned above: Mods include Mcmillan compact edge stock, talley lightweights with Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 with cds scope..:
[Linked Image]

Here's the Ruger M77 hawkeye "all weather" with walnut stock:
[Linked Image]

That's the route I'd take if I were looking. Good luck with your search.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA