First the good thing is that there are a ton of really nice hunting rifles that will get the job done and they range from utilitarian tools to works of art. I myself have gone thru the trading and trying all sorts of different guns phase and now that I am a bit older I have come to the realization that I probably should have just bought me a really nice rifle in any of the standard mid size cartridges and taken it hunting. It doesn't matter if it is all weather or not as to me a nicely worn blue wood rifle is a thing of beauty and speaks of lots of memories and adventures. Note I said worn not abused. Just look at pictures of Jack O Connors favorite rifle . It is still a beautiful rifle even after years of hunting and the worn spots and nicks and dings just add character. So to answer your question , If I were starting out again knowing what I think I know I would pick out something on the order of a nice Kimber, Model 70 super grade, or maybe even one of the O'Connor special issue model 70's in 308, 270, 30-06, or 7mm-08 . After all $1500 is not that much amortized over your lifetime and really that of your children. I would spend the same on a nice shotgun and figure I was good to go.

Last edited by bangeye; 06/29/12.