Wow a lot more recommendations than I expected, luckily it was 110 degrees today so my job today was to stand around inside with my hands in my pockets daydreaming about guns :-)

At this point I think I am going to pursue an all weather rifle over the more aesthetically appealing wood/blue combo. Though I doubt I will be hunting in "hurricane conditions", it would be nice to have the option.

As good as some of the recommendations have been I think the two that appeal most to me (both in 30-06) are the Kimber 84l Montana, and the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather with the McMillan compact edge stock. Thanks for the idea there BSA! All that is left for me to do now is to get my hands on both actions and see which appeals to me the most.

I grew up shooting and hunting with a 30-06 and probably favor it a little more than the 308. I have experienced first hand what a properly loaded nosler partition can do to deer and can honestly say that with the 30-06 I have never had a deer so much as take a step after I sent my round downrange. I am unfamiliar with some of the other rounds you guys have mentioned which made me worry about availability in certain areas.

I really like the kevlar/composite stock and the 24" barrel on the Kimber...