Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Jonathon -

It wasn't clear in my previous post but both Ruger .30-06s were purchased used and the .338 WM was built from used parts except for the stock. The point is there are a lot of very good used guns available, usually for much less than new, and often you can't tell the difference in how they look or shoot.

My wood/blue Ruger M77 in.257 Roberts is a case in point and has been my favorite rifle since I acquired it. Built in 1989, it became mine in January, 2004. At that time it didn't even have scratches in the bluing under the slide safety - something I "fixed" in the first couple trips to the range. Cost was $400 and included a Leupold M8 4x in the rings.
[Linked Image]

Another used bargain was a Remington BDL in .308 Win. It was 30 years old when I picked it up off the Gander Mountain used gun rack at a cost of $350. Except for the missing rear sight it looked like new. I replaced the sight only to find out it was removed to make room for the scope, so off it came again. The picture below is from the first load development I did with it. Every shot used a 0.5g increment in powder.
[Linked Image]

Here's another scope check target from the Remington M700 .308W:
[Linked Image]

Just saying, don't overlook the used rack - there are often bargains there waiting for a good home.

CH, nice work with those orphaned rifles.....

Case in point, I was just in Seattle WA. Took a trip to a new cabela's up off of I-5 in Marysville. Used gun rack had a Ruger 1A 30-06 in very, very nice shape, better than average wood, 4X Glenfield scope and a sling...$349! By the time I made up my mind and got back to the gun deptment (about 30 minutes) it was gone, well, I could still see it but it was behind the counter with a sales slip on the barrel.

Last edited by 308ld; 07/04/12.

Ed