Originally Posted by Jonathon
... I am researching into a new (bolt action) rifle to hunt with throughout various regions of the states. � mostly concerned with deer hunting but need a rifle suited for other exploits whenever the opportunity presents itself. With that said my choice of caliber will be either. 308 or 30-06, and between the two I am indifferent. I hope to keep the budget under $1500 for this and I won't top a rifle with anything other than a leupold 3-9x40.
My questions are, at what point does one justify the "need" for an all weather rifle, and of those listed (or not listed) which would you choose if you needed ONE good multipurpose rifle for use in general shooting and hunting ANYWHERE in the lower 48? Why?

Thanks in advance for your input.

All weather rifles are, like premium bullets, something that are rarely needed but rarely if ever detrimental. If all weather turns your crank, go for it. Or you can wax your rifle and stock and not worry unless hunting in really extreme conditions. This will be my 31st year hunting elk in Colorado and it wasn�t until 2 years ago I had a stainless/synthetic rifle. Now I have two and, although I have often hunted in wet and snow, have yet to really need one.

Mine are Rugers, both with MKII actions, .338WM on the left and .30-06 on the right. Beauty queens they are not but both have taken elk in snowy/wet/muddy weather and I don�t worry about dinging them up.

[Linked Image]

For even less you can pick up a gem like the Ruger M77 .30-06 on the left. It has accounted for two elk in snowy weather and is no worse for the wear. Except for the 2� shorter barrel and lack of iron sights, it looks just like the 7mm RM I used for the first 20+ years in all kinds of weather. The only damage to the 7mm RM is some minor dings here and there.

[Linked Image]

The stainless/laminate .30-06 is the same one pictured above in a �boat paddle� stock. Although the laminate looks nicer, I prefer the lighter �boat paddle� for hunting.

Here�s a scope-check target from the walnut/blue Ruger M77 .30-06:
[Linked Image]

Here�s a target from my 30 year old Ruger 7mm RM, shot in gusty 40+mph crosswinds:
[Linked Image]

And another scope-check target from the .338WM shown above:
[Linked Image]

OK, I�m an unapologetic Ruger fan because they are rugged, reliable, good looking and all of mine shoot great. Most of mine were purchased used at considerable savings but look and shoot just as well as the ones I�ve purchased new. In my opinion the Rugers are arguably the best commercial instantiation of the Mauser design. Unlike some other popular brands, I�ve never heard of the one-piece bolt and handle coming apart or the extractor breaking on a Ruger rifle. If necessary, Ruger the triggers are easily adjusted (M77) or tuned (MKII) or replaced. New Ruger Hawkeyes can be had for under $600 and used Rugers in great shape can be found in the $400s. For a �good multipurpose rifle for use in general shooting and hunting ANYWHERE in the lower 48� I think they are hard to beat.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.