Talking brands is almost useless, as fit is everything. Talking about types of boots has some merit. I've really been trying to push the low end of support this summer in different types of terrain with various loads. Been wearing Teva Raiths and Salomon Fastpacker Mids. Mostly, I miss all leather (nothing fits like all leather) and a stiffer last. I don't miss the weight. Yesterday morning I was making my way off trail up a very steep and loose desert canyon. I found myself wondering if the smearing on gravel I was doing was better than the kick stepping into gravel that I would be doing with my heavier mountain boots. I'll switch back after a while and see. For a lightweight pair of boots (ok... really just tennis shoes), I'm impressed with the fastpackers.

This is all just experimentation on my part though. My default answer is a good pair of all leather mountain boots with a stiff midsole. You shouldn't be able to twist the sole along the long axis with your hands very much if at all.

You can get a lot lower temperature rating out of uninsulated leather boots using VBLs. I carry a couple of pairs of newspaper bags and a pair of liner socks (which I don't normally use) in my winter kit for just this reason. Liner socks with newspaper bags over them with regular socks over those will get you around an extra 20 degrees of comfort.