Yup, I learned that about Vibram Montagna Bloc soles with my first pair in about '67 and won't wear them in cold snow because they can be dangerous.

My Scarpa Concordias have a rand and, even with the utmost caution in treating them with Obenauf's LP, it still loosened and is a real beotch to glue so it stays where it was placed. I had these boots, thoroughly waxed with Obie's in Sept. 2006 and we drove into "The Flathead" from Vancouver, on opening day. There was a very severe snow and ice storm and we went hiking up a century-old trail on some tracks....these fine boots got wet in the moderately damp (for BC) snow and my feet were damned cold.

So, I still prefer something like the FGLS as I have fewer wet outs and better fit-support with them. But, I gotta agree on boot weight and I wish I could wear the lighter ones in most conditions.

I had this pair of Raichles, about 2000,lasted just under two years, but, they had a sole of some black goop that stuck like schit to a blanket and even a gimpy old phart like me could really climb slick rocks wearing them.

There really is no "perfect" or "best" boot, my preferences tend to agree with Evans, I hate wearing "corks" unless I have to and I have worn my share of them. I also have and tried the various "Claws" soles and am pretty much blase about them, especially in deep mud and,again, on frozen snow.

I listened to EdT and bought some of these Kahtoola alloy crampons and I wish I had had these when I started this stuff, very good for old guys with bum legs and packs.