Thanks for the info Vek. That seems to be about the same schedule I was accustomed to for resole / rebuild on my fire boots (Whites).

Just noticed that you're using my favorite solo shelter, the Utopia 2. I was mulling / arguing over tents quite a bit this morning and came to the conclusion (again) that for one guy in all conditions or two in a pinch the U2 has it. Freestanding and floorless is a nice combo.

A big part of the conclusion I've come to with boots is that it comes down to weight versus disposability. You can get (a lot) lighter weight and good performance out of the modern construction boots, but you'll have to replace them quite a bit more often than the boots Vek is using. Go with glorified tennis shoes and you're even lighter but replace them annually or more.

Something else that I find interesting. Lots of folks are focusing in on "heel drop" as they move to embrace the natural running and walking paradigm. My old Asolo Yukons have a much more neutral heel than my new school Asolo 600 something (bought from STP, quite a bit heavier than any other Asolos I've seen recently). As always, things come full circle.