Define "serious backcountry hunting conditions"
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One hunt in this area will completely round off a new green-dot vibram sole, cutting deep and carving off substantial chunks in the process. What would it do to something softer?

Rocker in a welted boot comes with use.

A rubber rand is a gimmick developed to protect inferior leather and the glued seam between sole and upper. That's it. It serves no other purpose. Waxed roughout leather of appropriate thickness and tan process is about bulletproof.

All that said, you won't see a fifteen mile packout on moraine down south. Nor will you see it most places up here. Maybe a tennis shoe disguised as a boot is appropriate for most of that (that's a joke, sorta).

Originally Posted by Bushcraft
I'm curious Kutenay, what do you consider "serious mountain use", especially as it relates to today's backcountry hunter?

Personally, I am not at all a fan of heavy, clunky, loud, stiff, old-school vibram soled boots that don't have a full rubber rand and have an almost nonexistent rocker...and I don't know anyone else that actually gets out there in serious backcountry hunting conditions that does either. In my experience, old school vibram just doesn't hold a candle to the more modern sticky rubber compounds and traction designs used in the Kene's.

Last edited by Vek; 07/19/12.