Originally Posted by MILES58
What is it with you? An adult male wolf, the one most likely to either kill or be killed by another wolf is often times 150 pounds. They are also the most likely wolves to be isolated single wolves. They re looking for territory and will kill what they want to, especially if they are not just passing through. hey do not need other wolves to take down much, much larger prey. There are no instances of anybody's bad ass dog dragging home dead wolves in Minnesota where we have had wolves forever. It does not happen. If it did happen, there would be one hell of a market for those dogs.
Once again, it appears we're talking past one another. I haven't proposed that a single dog can kill and drag home a single healthy wolf of significantly superior size from the wild. Nothing of the sort. I simply proposed that solitary wolves would not ordinarily persist in an effort to take down a dog of the variety that I've specified if said dog had a solid grip on it. More likely, such a wolf would seek to disengage and withdraw. Wolves seek to avoid serious wounds by instinct, whereas dogs of the variety I'm referring to disregard such and maintain their grip with persistence.

E.g., do you suppose a lone wolf of any size would attempt to take down a healthy three hundred pound wild boar? Dogs of the gripping breeds will, and they'll nearly die before letting one go once they've got a hold.