I've had hounds my entire life, I've used them on coons, bears, and cats. I've seen a single hound kill a 40lb. coon before, and I've also seen a 40lb. coon whip 4 hounds so badly that they were all afraid to grab it anymore and the coon just walked off. Depends on how much fight is in the dog and how much practise its had killing game. I was on my way to a tree one night where four hounds were treed on a coon and all of a sudden one hell of a fight broke out. I took off running and when I got there my four hounds, all full grown adults, were all backed up against each other facing out because 4 or 5 coyotes had them pinned down. Didn't get an actual count on the number of coyotes as they took off in every direction when I came running up. Everyone of those hounds had teeth marks either on their face and necks or back around their balls which is how those coyotes were trying to take them down. They were holding their own on coyotes for the 10-15 minutes it took me to get to the tree, but theres no doubt if they would of been wolves they would of all been dead by the time I got there. Every one of those hounds were probably 55-65lb. dogs with lots of practise fighting coons, bears, and cats (bobcats and mtn. lions). I also had a big tough 1/2 Black & Tan 1/2 Bluetick male that probably weighed 90lbs that damn near killed a big tough 130lb Rottweiler yard dog once before me and another guy could pry him off the Rotts neck with an axe handle. Like I said it depends on the fight in the dog and how much practise they've had killing game. When we got those dogs apart that Rott had a broken front leg and his face and neck was all chewed up. His head ended up looking like a swelled up basketball by the next day.