Not going to read all 27 pages so maybe it's been said but the guy in the OP is either the bravest son of a female dog alive or the dumbest. Not sure which. But the day I walk out in the apparent 'wilds' in the black of night in pursuit of my boxer that apparently is getting eaten by something badder than he is, to wade a creek in my flip flops armed with a flash light and some pepper spray.... well.... hopefully somebody will just put me down because my end is not likely to be painless.
On top of that he thought it might be a coyote?!?!? If I ever live where they have a coyote that can hold a 65# boxer by the muzzle, I'm moving!
I've owned multiple boxers (granted, 65# was the smallest one I owned, by far) and I've shot multiple coyotes, that comment/concern simply doesn't compute.
In any case, glad the boxer (GREAT dogs!) suffered only a bruised ego.
Regarding what the critter was that had the dog subdued, whatever it was, it should have been shot with something other than pepper spray. Nickle says it'll be back... with more attitude (or friends).

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me