Originally Posted by okok
I said this type of dog would hang with a wuff...but not a pit. A pit doesn't have the mass.

P.S A pit doesn't have a protective coat like a woof.
Mass and coat surely helps, but Pitbulls have been matched against all the breeds of dog the world over whose advocates were certain they'd finally discovered the breed that would dethrone the mighty Pitbull. Fights were arranged, even against giants (e.g., Japanese Tosas, and Neapolitan Mastiffs, to name two such matches I'm familiar with); a large, game bred, Pitbull was selected; and the outcomes were always the same. The larger dog, after an early advantage due to sheer size, always eventually runs out of steam, at which point the Pitbull (who hadn't yet begun to fight) starts tearing them a new one. It's an old story, repeated over and over and over again, the world over.

PS The way Pitbulls deal with dogs with thick coats is to grab hold of a leg, nose, or ear, and not let go. That's how my 75 lb male Pitbull instantly got the upper hand when he was attacked by a huge (200 + pounds) and hairy Pyrenean mastiff, i.e., by grabbing the upper foreleg, not letting go, and shaking the hold wildly, eventually getting the monster to let go of his hold on the back of his neck. Soon after that, the monster was on his back yelping for help, my dog still firmly attached.

[Linked Image]