Friend of mine left his pit bull and some sort of cattle dog in my care while they were on vacation. They lived two doors down,so I just had to go feed them every day. Anyway,snow drifted up on the fence and they were able to escape. Pit bull came back 2 days later,damn near dead,throat torn wide open. Seems they tangled with some coyote's out behind the house. The pit survived,but barely.We found some reddish fur from the other dog,that was it. No signs of any wounded coyote at all.I don't know how many coyote's there were,but this was a nice big pit,in good shape and she damn near got killed.

As for wolf vs dog, I have no personal experience,only stories from some guys I've worked with. I guided with some old timers who used to make good money killing coyote's back when they were worth good money. one guy had a good system going,using 3 wolfhounds to run and kill coyote's. These guys were making up to 30 grand a winter on coyote's. Anyway,apparently it all came to an end one day when the dogs got on a wolf. It ran out on a frozen lake,turned around and waited for the dogs,and killed all 3 in no time flat.Like I said, I wasn't there to see it,so I dion't know, but I'll put my money on the animal that's used to killing on a regular basis,and knows how to do so in the quickest manner possible.

I think maybe that's the difference. Dog thinks it's in a fight, wolf is instantly in kill mode,not wasting any time. That's what struck me about the coyote attack on the pitbull,there were almost no other significant injuries on the dog,just the near-fatal one. I'm thinking the wild canine's don't waste time fighting,they just kill as quick as possible.