Originally Posted by Olaf
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Olaf, I have not asked you about your version of Christianity. Do you believe the creation story to be a literal truth, and that the earth is less then 10k years old?

First, there is only one confessional version of Christianity, and it is summed up in the Apostle's Creed, which all Christians—Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant—confess in unison. Within those parameters, there are various degrees of emphasis and various issues of interpretation.

Personally, I believe the first chapters of Genesis are historical myth that defines exactly what happened though not necessarily in that exact way.

Olaf, today there are over 30k different varieties of Christians in the U.S. with widely varying beliefs. As we can see from the qualification in your above statement " Confessional version of Christianity.".

In addition, by subscribing to the historical myth version of Genesis, you've created distance between yourself and the YEC science denying version of Christianity.

Then there is the whole question regarding the nature of Jesus. Was he a historical figure or does he exist only in spirit? Did he perform miracles, or are the miracles allegories. How about his relationship with God. (the Trinity vs. non-Trinity question etc.)? Do all Christians go to Heaven, of just those who follow the practices of that particular sect?

Since each of these visions of Christianity can inform a persons world view, we can have Christians with significantly different practices, and vastly different world views.

If my few questions about the tomb we can see the assertions moving from "there are not contradictions", to "we know the eye witness testimony is unreliable, and the Gospels were not written by the actual eye witnesses, and we cannot provide a direct link between the witnesses and the writers".

That' a big move in the span of just a couple of question, but you willingness to make these concessions is informed by your version of Christianity.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell