Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I was a unit armorer back in the day (late '70s, early '80s) and the 20 1911A1s in our armsroom were worn-out beyond repair, in all reality.

35-40 years of "training" with them, and some usage, and they were all but historical relics. I only had FIVE of the twenty, that we could qualify with, the others weren't functional. I tried to get them fixed "No parts available" was the tired old refrain back then.

The only parts I could get from upper echelon depots were magazines and the brown plastic grips. That was IT.

As I was supposed to be issued one, "if the balloon went up", I bought myself a LWT Commander and learned to shoot it.

Maybe the Army could rebuild a passel of them, but those I had weren't going to be rebuilt, they were good for scrap only.

If you couldn't get parts, how do you konw they were not repairable? I'm not saying you are wrong, but asking for repair parts indicates the thought they were serviceable. Not getting parts is different than a piece that can't be repaired.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....